No 12 Pickwick
A great deal is known about this house which has been subject to a number of recent studies. No 12 Pickwick is an early-mid 18th century Georgian middle class house paired with No. 14. It has features of ‘polite’ architecture but with re-used 16th century timbers throughout. Some of these timbers have apotropaic markings – to guard against ‘evil’.
The earlier ‘kitchen’ block was probably originally a brewhouse/wash house or back kitchen, perhaps of late 17th century date: it features a timber mullion window and late 16th/early 17th century fittings, probably re-used from elsewhere. Interestingly there is also what appears to be a wig cupboard (see below!)
Detailed historical research has provided details of owners and tenants throughout its history:
- In 1756 the owner was Edward Mitchell a clothier and a leading local Quaker and sometime elder of the Society. In 1754 he was recorded as a bailiff of Corsham Court and in 1761 as coroner of Corsham. In his will of 1761 he was described as ‘Edward Mitchell senior, gentleman’.
- Dr. Daniel Ludlow MD and his wife Catherine were tenants in the house and are recorded as having paid hair powder tax in 1796 and 1797 – note the ‘wig cupboard’ referred to above! Mr. Ludlow was also listed a physician in Corsham from 1793 to 1798.
- In 1800 another medical man, William Saintsbury, surgeon lived there.
- Septimus Kinnear, the Warwickshire and England cricketer was born in No. 12 in May 1871.
With thanks to ‘A History of Pickwick and its buildings’ [unpublished] by John Maloney