Built on the site of a 17th century house called Leyceters, Beechfield House was built 1794-9 for Rev. J.L. Willis. It was latterly owned by Sir G. Goldney M.P. (1814-1900) and Sir F.H. Goldney (1846-1920).
Beechfield House is considered the height of sophisticated Georgian architecture in the area with a central projecting ashlar enclosed porch with Doric pilasters. There is a broad central arch with large traceried fanlight over a 6-panel door and sidelights, with pilasters between.
Each end wall has full-height bow windows. There was a separate orangery and inverted U-shaped stable block, plus accommodation for staff.
Gate piers and walls are ashlar and date from the later 19th century. The two ashlar corniced piers are inscribed ‘Beech’ and ‘Field’ with a serpentine ashlar wall each side. There is a two-storey north-west service wing with a cornice. In its grounds was an ice house which can be seen marked on the 1884 OS map.
With thanks to ‘A History of Pickwick and its buildings’ [unpublished] by John Maloney